this is a list of flights ...

or you can browse thumbnails.
XXX Flight: 2013-0619-1 in N12556 (Penny) for $
KSSI - KSSI (flying time 0:42)
Flight Notes:
I get to take Dad sightseeing during their lunch visit! (David Thorburn-Gundlach)

From KSSI (Malcolm McKinnon Airport) 2013-06-19 19:14:22 to KSSI (Malcolm McKinnon Airport) 2013-06-19 19:56:05 [00:42:00] with 1 day and 0 night landings.
David Thorburn-Gundlach (pilot-L) / Skip Gundlach (passenger) /
Leg Notes:
Skip & Leegee are in town, and while the girls go and do pier & village stuff the guys get to go sightseeting :-) We threw together the gear and dashed off to the airport to squeak in a flight before a late-afternoon conf call.
We got there and ran through the preflight in short order, with Dad handling the electronics this time as well as putting the 696 yoke mount back on the right side (I can't wait for our new one's replacement to finally arrive!) while I checked the exterior. Then we fired up and headed off for the runway.
We were just about to stop for our runup when a plane ahead of us, hearing our taxi, pulled off and offered to let us go by. When I quickly noted that I had not yet done my runup, he took me up on our offer, continued his circle, and was in front of us again. I bet his track was fun to see :-) We were up right after he, though, and climbed out toward Jekyll.
As we flew over the Brunswick River, Dad wondered about the big oval pile that I had thought was a sandbar. He noted that it looked much whiter than expected, though; hmmm... [We later concluded, based on evidence of another sandbar that looked a little darker but which also had distinctly wet-looking edges, that this had to be something artificial for some reason.] Then we continued our way down toward the Jekyll airport, at which point I was reminded again that you have to plan ahead to be a tour operator; I had set up so that *I* had a great view of the strip & the village, but all he saw was water! Well, that was easy to remedy; I flew south to just past the water park, turned a 180, and came back up, this time with the strip and the village on *his* side. Heh.
Meanwhile, there was a Navy chopper doing some practice work at and around the airport; it was good practice to repeatedly have to find him both down in the ground clutter and off at the horizon. We assured him, though, that we were touring rather than landing, and with him at 0-300 ft and us at 800-1100 ft there was certainly no real congestion :-) He was in fact hovering right over the '18' numbers as we came northward again before circling eastward to go south down the beach (which is how I should have started for my right-seat passenger), but this time he believed us and just stayed put in his practicing.
From the village & beach, we followed the road to the Sidney Lanier sail bridge, skipping the car carrier depot since Google Maps has better pictures anyway, and took a few turns around before heading to the village.
Now, the village area was a bit tricky, because that's right at the bottom of Rwy22, which was in use that day. I had been on both McKinnon & Jekyll channels announcing our position, so I also knew that there was little traffic around, so that was no prob, and I just kept it up. Just as I was getting ready to announce that I would be crossing the flight path for 22, though, a Pilatus came on to report that he was taxiing; hah! I was clear and in my first circle before he was ready to depart, though, and so clear of him. As I announced my circling off on his left, he said that he was headed straight out to the South. I asked him if he'd like to stay for some pattern practice and you could hear the disdain, albeit with a chuckle, in his simple 'Eh, no.' answer :-)
We took two full turns around the village, down around 700 ft, to be sure that they could see us wherever they were, and then we headed north for more fun view. On the way South again Dad noted the boat storage yard at the Coast Guard station, so with a quick glance at the clock to confirm that I had time, I took one more turn around there to point out details before turning into the 22 downwind and heading in for a smooth landing. After a casual taxi back, we got to the ramp and shut down with 90 seconds to spare. Woot! :-)
I can see some serious practice work to become familiar with the area and how long something takes at what speeds and where we can go in what amount of time. I'm thinkin' that working on the simulator, too, would be good for this. It'll be a fun challenge :-)
(David Thorburn-Gundlach)